Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Lesson Learned: Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do.

I say it to my kids all the time.  All day I hear "I don't WANT to do my homework!" "I hate cleaning my room!" "I don't want to go to school!" "I don't want to share!" And I respond with "Well, guess what ... in life, sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do.  That's just the way it is."  Turns out ... it's true for adults as well.  As much as I want to eat chocolate instead of drink a liter of water every time I get a craving, there are somethings you just have to do, even if you don't want to.  If you want to make changes in your life, REAL changes, sometimes you ... say it with me ... Have To Do Things You Don't Want To Do.

But ... here's the good news.  If you do those things enough, some day, you won't mind doing them anymore.  It will become a habit.  It will be something you don't have to think about so much.

For example: when I started my first Beach Body Challenge Group, I didn't want to work out every day.  I REALLY didn't want to do it.  I didn't even WANT to want to workout every day.  I had to force myself to work out every single time, six days a week, for two months. Every. Single. Day.  And then one day I realized, I didn't mind it so much.  In fact, I actually Liked working out. Now, I look forward to it.  I need it.  It's just a part of who I am.

So sometimes you just have to do things you don't want to do. Period.


2 comments:

  1. Amy, great blog, I am very impressed with you and the 75 lbs you have already lost. What a huge accomplishment. I have read every post and look forward to reading more. I am pregnant with my third child and will need to get back on the wagon once the baby is born. Thank you! (This is Liz Crane Pitcavage, old friends with Lowell.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz!! Yes ... baby number three did a number on me!! Sleep deprivation was of course the toughest. I am here to help in any way I can ... I'm still mid-journey so I will be working along with you!! Good luck with your pregnancy and new baby. Super fun :)

    ReplyDelete